Work Permit Application in Malaysia

Update Date:2015-11-4 17:45:31 Source:Tannet (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd Views:651

Malaysia Hotline : +603-2141 8908

Malaysia work permit allow foreigner to stay and work in Malaysia for a certain period of time by fulfill criteria. There is few type of work permit in Malaysia for different purpose and staying period. It depend on the requirement and needs of the applicant. Some of the pass are renewable. 

Types of Work Permits in Malaysia

1. Professional Visit Pass (PVP)

The Professional Visit Pass is issued to foreigners employed by an overseas company but working with a company in Malaysia. This pass normally is applicable for technical experts and trainees, as well as volunteers to carry out specific work for short periods of around six months to a year.

2. Employment Pass (DP 10)

An Employment Pass applies to an expatriate from another country is Highly Skilled and is Offered a Skilled Job in Malaysia, generally in executive or managerial positions. In simple words it is an 'Employment Pass' issued by the Government for skilled workers. The initial validity of the pass is 2 years but it can be extended. Employer have to proof to the government that they could not find a Local employee with the required skills and professional background for the job before hired any foreigner.

3. Temporary Employment

A Temporary Employment Pass is for unskilled or semi-skilled workers in the manufacturing, agriculture, construction and services fields. These are for jobs that pay less than RM 5,000 per month. Before the work permit can be issued, quota approval needs to be granted from the Local Centre of Approval, Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

4. Visitor's Pass (Professional)

Issued to a foreigner who hold acceptable professional qualifications or specialist skills and enter Malaysia to take up professional work for short term period not exceeding twelve (12) month. For example: stage artiste (singer, musician), non-artiste (stage management and screen play filming activities , interview for foreign film production in Malaysia) and etc. Applicant must be outside Malaysia at the time of application.

5. Short Term Social Visitor's Pass

Short term social visit pass is given to foreign visitors upon arrival for the purpose of Social Visit, Business Discussion, Attending Seminars and etc.

6. Other Optional services for staying in Malaysia

Foreigners can be applying for the Malaysia My Second Home (MM2H) Programme. Applicants accepted on the scheme are granted a multiple-entry Social Visit Pass which is valid for ten (10) years in the first instance and is renewable. MM2H is open for every foreigner regardless of age and foreigners with a pass are allow to bring over their partners, and children up to the age of 21. Those granted a pass via the MM2H scheme can set up a business in the country and work as investment but not full time worker.

Moreover, foreigner could apply for Labuan Company and get a work permit to stay in Malaysia for 2 year. However, applicant are required to fulfill the criteria. This work permit is renewable as well by fulfill the requirement. 

Tannet Malaysia is an International Consultant Firm based in Hong Kong, Shenzhen. We provide one stop business services such as international company formation, global trademark registration, commercial secretary services, business proposal drafting, work permit application and etc. We believe Tannet will be your best choice for your oversea investment. Kindly contact us for more information if you are interested.

Contact Us

If you have further queries, please contact Tannet

24 hours Malaysia hotline:603-21418908;

24 hours Hong Kong hotline:852-27837818;

24 hours China hotline:86-755- 36990589;



Previous:Hong Kong Shared Office

Next:Company Profile Drafting